Monday, February 27, 2006

More Audiobooks: Arthur C. Clarke

Now I am listening to some short stories by Arthur C. Clarke, read by the author. I have never read anything by him before, and I am impressed! I usually don't like Science Fiction, because I think it is too contrived, specially the pseudo-scientific explanations on how future technology works, and the way some stories try to explain paranormal events with made-up science (think of the microorganisms inside people that generate the "Force" in "Star Wars: Episode I"). In Clarke's tales, at least so far, no attempt is made in either way: he doesn't make up explanations for technology and phenomena that he couldn't possible explain, nor does he attempt to frame paranormal events in made-up science, he prefers to leave them in the realm of mysticism. In fact, that's what I like the most so far in his short stories - there is a pervasive mystical aspect to them, be in the Tibetan Monks that try to rush the Apocalypse by using a computer to "calculate" all true names of God, or in the Super-Computer that creates a new Universe ("Let There Be Light!") while trying to calculate the answer to the Big Bang, just as our Universe dies "of entropy". So although science and mysticism are featured in his stories, they are kept separated, each playing its part in grand scheme of things.

Edit (March 1st, 2006) - I had previously attributed these stories to Isaac Asimov, due to some unexplained brain fart. Now I give credit to the correct author.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Arthur C Clarke wrote the best scifi books of all time, according to this list.