Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Review: A Wizard of Earthsea

A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1)A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's a perfectly fine book, but ultimately it was not that exciting to read. It's what I would call medieval style fantasy: Wizards, dragons, castles, hordes of marauders, the whole thing. It prominently featured a school of magic for kids - kinda like in Harry Potter, but in 1968, so it might be one of the earliest versions of the trope. I read elsewhere how it was groundbreaking for the time for another reason: the hero is a minority - this was novel for fantasy books. And not just A hero (part of a team, sidekick, etc...) - but THE hero of the story. As a minority, I appreciate that, and I recommend it because of the history of literature value. But by itself, it's only ok, if feels too much of a straightforward fantasy story, it's not really my thing, I was never much of a fan of medieval-stye fantasy. The story is slow, the main character feels underdeveloped and not that compelling, and none of the secondary characters stand out for long.

View all my reviews

No comments: